"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty;

not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens

Friday, April 07, 2006

A prayer for the young and lovely...

Dear God, I keep praying
For the things I desire,
You tell me I'm selfish
And "playing with fire" -
It is hard to believe
I am selfish and vain,
My desires seem so real
And my needs seem so sane,
And yet You are wiser
And Your vision is wide
And You look down on me
And You see deep inside,
You know it's so easy
To change and distort,
And things that are evil
Seem so harmless a sport -
Oh teach me, dear God,
To not rush ahead
But to pray for Your guidance
And to trust You instead,
For You know what I need
And that I'm only a slave
To the things that I want
And desire and crave -
Oh, God, in your mercy
Look down on me now
And see in my heart
That I love you somehow,
Although in my rashness,
Impatience and greed
I pray for the things
That I want and don't need -
And instead of a crown
Please send me a cross
And teach me to know
That all Gain is but loss,
And show me the way
To joy without end,
With You as my Father,
Redeemer and Friend -
And send me the things
That are hardest to beat
And keep me forever
Safe in Thy care.

By Helen Steiner Rice

No comments: