"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty;

not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens

Friday, April 13, 2007

Of Cheerleaders and Pom-Poms..

After watching Heroes, my thoughts went to cheerleaders and their pom-poms..

Am I a pom-pom or a cheerleader?

What is a pom-pom to a cheerleader?

Can a cheerleader function without a pom-pom?

Why does a cheerleader need a pom-pom?

Am I a cheerleader, with or without the pom-poms?

Am I just a member of the crowd?

Why do we need cheerleaders?

Why be a cheerleader?

I think that cheerleaders and its hype are the result of American influence in our lives, probably more through the mass media than anything else.

I usually don't think much about cheerleaders. If I were watching a game, I doubt that I would bother much about them but find them suitable distractions, entertainment even, if they were any good. The media also paints all sorts of things about cheerleaders, their characteristics, etc which most times aren't particularly good or true. But that's not why I am talking about them now.

So, back to the earlier questions.

1. Am I a pom-pom or a cheerleader? What is a pom-pom to a cheerleader?

I want to liken myself to being a cheerleader for God. Pom-poms would symbolise perhaps zeal, a passion for Him?

2. Can a cheerleader function without a pom-pom? Why does a cheerleader need a pom-pom?

Of course they can but without the pom-poms, it would be harder to notice them. Also, the pom-poms are lovely, much like a lovely bouquet of colours in their hands and when they are swung about etc, surely add to their repertoire/routine. It enhances the performance so to speak.

3. Am I a cheerleader, with or without the pom-poms?

Hardest question so far. Yes, I am a cheerleader and yes, I do have pom-poms.

4. Am I just a member of the crowd?

I could be but would I be content?

5. Why do we need cheerleaders?

I think we need them. Aside from providing distraction and entertainment, they are supposed to support the team that they are cheering for. Imagine if you were a person playing for their team and you had to go to a new place to play and the entire stadium was filled with supporters of the opposing team. The cheerleaders might well be the only ones to render the team players any support and encouragement. So, yes, we do need cheerleaders.

6. Why be a cheerleader?

If you really love the game and/or you want to be a team player but can't for whatever the reason, or you have someone you really care about in the team, or perhaps you like and believe in what cheer-leading is all about, the preparation, the skill, the practice, the risk of permanent injury, the team spirit among cheerleaders, their different roles, the sheer power, agility, athletic strength and raw energy in not only doing the routine but also doing it with a smile, the selfless-ness even of doing all this to show support to the team you are rooting for?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

woah. cheerleader allegory ;) who would have thought of them beyond skimpy skirts and glittery pom poms?

MC said...

Most times, I enjoy being in the crowd...I quiet mah. But it menggeramkan saya when nobody is cheering for people who need cheering. So, I cheer lor. Does that make me a cheerleader?

Can a person be a cheerleader for the cheerleader ah? Who cheers the cheerleader on? Hahaha...my classic question to See Ee last time...