"Reflect upon your present blessings, of which every man has plenty;

not on your past misfortunes of which all men have some."
Charles Dickens

Thursday, April 05, 2007

What motivates you?

What motivates you to wake up each morning? What is your first conscious thought?

How can I be a "God-aware" person when so many things are trying to crowd God out?

I had breakfast with a dear friend this morning and that's the person who talked about "God-awareness" and got me thinking.

I was trying to describe a condition i had which she totally understood. (Yay!) I said something like, whatever I was doing/reading/seeing, in this case some poetry books, I seem acutely aware of the absence of God in some of the readings. Being aware is one thing but I can't seem to be able to turn it off. Am I weird or what? Why is it so glaring to me? She said that it was good cos I was "God-aware"...

I thought about it and want to believe that badly. Trouble with being "God-aware" is that it could easily make me judgmental of those who were not. Instead, I'd like to be God-aware and people-aware too. That way, I can be a blessing to those around me! Lord, may I be your light wherever I am placed!

So, what motivates me? Good question. I love to watch a life transformed by God and God-awareness. It's like a light switch suddenly flipped on. I am motivated by watching the young and especially the older ones being transformed. Thankfulness aka gratitude motivates me, too. By that, I mean that my own gratitude for all that He has done for me. There are truckloads that He does for me and that spurs me to "do/be" FOR Him. I take some things rather personally, like, I think God gives me a beautiful sky to enjoy, lovely music and songs to sing, many young ones to enjoy watching as they grow up, a husband who is crazy about me, friends who love me, a tick-tock brain, more ideas than I can contain, and even glimpses of things to come! He does this all just for me! How great is that?

My first conscious thought? What time is it?

1 comment:

Jay's Brick Blog said...

So heart warming :D